#1: The first thing!
Listen to this podcast [2:56] ---> powered by ODEO
If you've found your way here, you're one of a merry band exploring 23 Things @ Glendale Community College over the summer. Each week, either Christine or I will introduce a couple of things to learn about during the week. We've posted the list of 23 Things and a schedule; whether you print it out and post it on your refrigerator or add the dates and topics to your Blackberry is a secret you'll never have to share. Our goal is to post at least the first thing each week in time for you to get started each Monday morning, but we might get the things done earlier. Who knows?
You can work ahead if you'd like; just be sure to check back to make sure you've done the specific task we've identified for that week. If you fall behind -- hey, life intervenes occasionally -- that's okay. You can always catch up, but we've heard a rumor that there are some prizes for those who complete all 23 Things by August 1st. Shssh.
For the first few weeks, we'll send out email reminders, but that's so Web 1.0! In Week 4, we'll learn some Web 2.0 ways to keep up without filling up your mailbox. Won't that be grand?
If you have questions, check our FAQ to see if we've answered them already. If not, post a question there . . . or here . . . we'll find them! And away we go . . .
23 comments:
Roaming the Gloaming, the wake of my boat a-foaming. This is Life!
I will try not to find 23 ways to get lost here! I'm excited about this opportunity.... I think I am.... ;0)
Anonymous? Please, sign in so we know who you are!
Wow, I really like the 7.5 Habits exercise, and I'd like to use it in my CPD150 (Strategies for College Success) course. This is information that I teach in the course, but I love the way it is organized and presented in this exercise. So here's my question: What are the copyright guidelines/laws? How should I proceed?
Thanks,
Susan
Speaking of web browsers and using folders... I was recently introduced to http://del.icio.us which is a fantastic way to store web sites with your own metadata and topics and can easily be shared with colleagues, by section or all of your links at once. You can set permissions and keywords. If anyone wants a tour, come by my office or give me a call.
We'll explore del.icio.us and other tagging tools in Week 6 (Thing 13), so be sure to chime in then and share your expertise. One thing that's great about this activity is that most people know a couple of things already, so Christine and I will be happy, happy, happy to sit back and let others step up.
I'm looking forward to following along. Don't do any extra work, but any chance you could offer text of the podcasts?
Like most podcasters, I write my stuff before I record it, so I do have it in text. Let me see if I can find a cubby-hole where I can stash the texts. But also part of my 23 things this semester is trying to get over being such a print person. A lot of 2.0 stuff relies on audio or video or some combination of the two. I've written about that in my blog entry about Learning 2.0
I've added a tiny little link to the right that takes you to the texts of the podcasts.
Susan,
If you would like, I will email Lori Reed, author/creator of the 7.5 Habits, to see if she has licensed the presentation in anyway - I don't see any Creative Commons icon, but that doesn't necessary mean anything. My assumption - which will have to be confirmed or corrected by Lori - is that because she works in the same library system as Helene Blower (the original 23 Things creator), it was created as an open use tool.
More later,
Christine
Regarding the podcast, what a delightful intro to 23Things@GCC.
-Enjoyed the mixed metaphors... Hitching a ride in your "little red wagon", Karen & Christine, will be good fun!
Lori Reed's 7.5 Habits... presentation is certainly attractive and it provides a good outline for crystalizing thinking about learning habits -some of which are very familiar and others that make good sense in order to achieve stated goals.
BTW, I could not get the Contract attachment to open in the presentation(?).
In order to get to the attachments, you'll have to turn off your pop-up blocker. I had to hold dowm my Control key and click on the file name to be able to open the files. If you're still having trouble, I'll see if I can stash the attachments somewhere else.
Ah, ha! The pop-up blocker was off so it was holding down the Control key while clicking on the attachment that did the trick.
~Thanks.
Christine, thank you and I look forward to your reply regarding rights or permission to use 7 1/2 Habits.
Susan
Ooh! Can I play?
Anyone can play! The more, the merrier!
This is a great idea! Kudos to the creators!
I can't wait to learn more!
Louise
I listened to the audio presentation for #1 of the "23 things" and it sounded like a foreign language.
Please talk English. i.e. "Browser"--this is what you do with heavy eye-brows?
Well, a browser is a piece of software that allows you to "browse" the World Wide Web. You may be using Internet Explorer (the most widely-used tool provided by Microsoft) or Netscape or Firefox or Opera or Safari.
But what's more important is that you ask the question! We have a HUGE range of expertise in this group, and unless people ask questions, we don't know if we're getting through. However, here's a tip. I recommend that you use Wikipedia for "geeky" questions and to check new terminology. It's just GREAT to get you up to speed on technology topics. Just type wikipedia into your web browser, and it should get you right there. In the search box at Wikipedia, type in browser. I was pleasantly pleased at how clear the explanation was, but maybe a novice wouldn't agree.
The key point is that asking questions is critical!! So do it often!
Hi Everyone,
I'm on the road but hope to join you often. I wish I could have heard Pam's talk - is it online? I am aware of most of the 23 things, but have used few of them. Hopefully this summer! I also went to the NAU conference this week, which was super. Thanks for doing this exciting group, Karen & Chris. (I'll login properly next time).
Best Wishes, John Gibson
OK...I’ve got my boots on but will be in NY for most of the summer! This is such an awesome idea I’ve decided it’s worth stepping off the boat or walking away from the lake for a few minutes to participate! See you all in blogger space!
Hi everyone, I just listened to the intro and noted that we will be using mutiple logins. I use a password manager program called Roboform that saves all my logins. And then it is secured by using a security password. I highly recommend it. The first 10 passwords are free after that there is a charge. Just go to www.roboform.com and see what you think. bjhart
ARGH! This is frustration. I wrote several entries and thought I had published them. However, I don't see any entries displayed in my blog when I view it. So I looked and all three entries are still listed as drafts. The problem is how to publish the entry when it is a "draft." There isn't a button or option that I can see to enable that process. When I click "edit," the entry is displayed so I can read it but it still doesn't allow me to publish it.
Post a Comment